Monday, October 30, 2006

Letter from home

Dear Maryland (and Linda, Jenn, Jodi and anyone else who hasn't seen us in months),

Hi! How are you? I am fine (aside from a raging case of "I'm a dork".)

Last time we chatted, Maryland (and friends), you asked for photos. Ok, sure. Why not post photos. But only if you promise, Maryland (and again with the friends) that you will not mock me for my lack of ability to walk into a room without painting it (shut up) or drive by a garage sale, flea market or salvage store without buying something old (seriously, if you live in Cincinnati you have to go to Building Value in Walnut Hills - that place is overflowing with character and history and the people are really really nice. I promised them I'd be back... and that I'd bring friends.)

So here now are a few pictures of the house as it stands today...



Ok, photo#1. The dining room. There are a number of things you may be thinking upon viewing this photo. You may be saying to yourself, "That is one big, semi-stripped piece of furniture!" But? You'd be wrong. Because there are actually eight semi-stripped pieces of furniture in that room... I just chose to feature one for your viewing pleasure*. Another thing you may be noticing about that room? The lovely (not really) navy blue paint. We are not responsible for the paint. Now Maryland, you know that I am not afraid of color on the walls ("Your living room looks like a hobbit hole" ring a bell, anyone?) And I've actually seen navy blue on walls and it's beautiful. In fact, my brother and sister-in-law have an open kitchen/living room with vaulted ceilings and have navy on one wall and it looks spectacular with the other colors in the room and the trim. But this? This does not look spectacular. This looks dark and weird. Maybe because of the chair rail running through the middle of it? I don't know and don't particularly care. It's leaving sometime soon. Ummm, what else... ok, the light fixture. It's not "bad", it's just not our style. Coming down when we get to it. Probably sometime after the furniture gets refinished, the paint gets taken care of and I'm able to shower for more than two days in a row (you'd think showering is a priority but for some reason the house doesn't agree with that.)

Ok, let's move on, shall we?



Ah, yes. This, Maryland, is the living room. Or as I like to refer to it? The "let's-put-everything-we-can-possibly-fit-into-it-and-then-decide-to-paint" room. In my defense? This room is actually coming together (it's the one with the french doors that was in the first batch of house pictures we sent out.) I painted and got curtains hung and then decided to paint the bookcase (I don't want to hear it, thanks.) So nothing that went into the bookcase has been unpacked because the second coat of paint went on Friday. So to prove to you (and to encourage myself) that the living room is close to being unpacked and put together and finished, here is another photo of some detail of the paint color (Olympic Willow Tree, the same color we had in the living room in Bowie):



There are a few other random photos on the art blog too but since they're more "detail" and less "real life mess" I wasn't sure they reflect the true condition of our house at the moment. And you know I'm all about keeping it real.

Well, that's all for now. We miss you, Maryland (and friends). But we're settling in and I have the majority of a whole new house to work on. And you know me; I may complain about the messes but I really really like making them. We love you, and can't wait to see you soon (Linda, that is aimed directly at you, sister. I try to check the weekly airfare deals to Philly so you may need to find a babysitter!)

Goodbye and goodnight, Maryland (and friends),

Stacie a.k.a. "Super Dork"

*P.S. The large semi-stripped furniture in the dining room? We bought a dining room set at an auction last month. $150 for a table with leaves, six chairs and a buffet. The catch? They have layers of white, kind-of-white, and not-even-remotely-close-to-white paint on them. And on top of that? All of the detail work (spindles, etc.) have metallic gold paint. Niiiiice.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It ain't lookin' so bad. The blue, well, that is kind of, uh, whatever. And furniture strippin' is better than me strippin', so hey.

I swear, if you are over there stripping millions of pieces of furniture at the same time, you've got too much time on your hands, sister. You need to come over and finish my bathrooms, change alal hollow core doors, paint the outside of the house, power wash the roof, fence the property, paint all indoor ceiling and trim. What else... Oh yeah, landscaping.

 
Site Meter