Monday, October 03, 2005

Wal-Mart = Hell

I hate Wal-Mart. Or at least, I hate our Wal-Mart. It is dirty, cluttered, dirty, crowded and not stocked with anything you actually need. You honestly can't just "run in" for anything because there are only three cashiers at any given time and you have to wait 20 minutes or so in line to check out. My friend, Ashley, refuses to shop there because the last few times she's gone there have been "domestic altercations" where the police had to intervene. Honestly, my experience there has never been quite that bad. But still. It looks like a place that would have domestic altercations.

Now, I didn't always detest Wal-Mart. When we lived in Fairfield (Ohio) there was a newer Wal-Mart near us that I adored. It was clean, stocked, well-lit and organized. There were sky-lights and high ceilings. There were very nice people working there. There were even cashiers standing in front of their queues waiting to ring you up. Craziness!

So what is the point of this post? Why all the whining? Well, I succumbed to the lure of cheap-o prices yesterday and went to Wal-Mart to pick up some transparencies for an art project. It wasn't our Wal-Mart, but one a bit farther up the road. I had other errands to run, I knew Wal-Mart's prices on what I needed were $3 or $4 less than Staples, I had already checked Target with no luck and had just been putting it off so I took a chance. Sean and I went in and straight back from the entrance I happened to see the boys section with a big ol' rack of University of Maryland gear. I was sucked in. We'd purchased Maryland wear for the boys from the university bookstore on campus and the quality was very disappointing. So when I checked this stuff out at Wal-Mart and it was actually very sturdy I bought a few things for Liam and Sean. But? That was my mistake. For you see, I didn't have Liam with me. And I should have understood the law of buying clothing for children not in your presence. Because though the long-sleeved Terps t-shirt was nice? It was from Wal-Mart. A Wal-Mart not really close to home. Which means? If it doesn't fit right, it has to be returned.

Of course, you know what I'm going to write next. The t-shirt didn't fit Liam. Neither did the sweats I bought for him (I couldn't help it, people!). So I'm faced with a decision. Drive less time but wait in the inevitable long line to return the items closer to home? Or drive a while longer and wait in a shorter line (or even no line, I've seen it before). This? Is why I now hate Wal-Mart. My life is stressed out enough as it is. I don't need little irritations of my own making like this thrown in. I should really know better by now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I ONLY go to WalMart late at night. On a weeknight. And never in November or december. Or any back-to-school time.

last time I was there, I paid the bill and bought some shirts and was in and out in 15 minutes. I want a couple more of these shirts but I hate to go and ruin my good record. That was at Columbia, by the way, which is less than 2 years old and already is dingy as hell.
betsy

Jodi said...

Bad news friend. You're beloved fairfield walmart has gone icky. I refuse to let the trashiness drive me away. There are some things you can only get at walmart for a decent price. Body wash, cleaners, TP, tons of stuff...they remain fairly well stocked and they are going super, but the trashy folks have found it, heck maybe I am one of the trashy folks, and I am just in denial.

Stacie said...

Betsy, that Columbia Wal-Mart had a head start looking crappy. It used to be a K-Mart. The only nice one around is up next door to Arundel Mills. But then... it's all the way up at Arundel Mills!

Jodi, are you serious?! The Bypass 4 Wal-Mart has gone redneck? So sad. Especially since they're making it a ginormous Super-center Wal-Mart now. Oh well. See? We leave the area and this is what happens ;-)

Unknown said...

WHAT? You've been to a nice Walmart? Really? No... Really? You are kidding right? A nice Walmart? Get outta here! You are pulling my leg...

 
Site Meter