Thursday, September 08, 2005

A little bit of normal

Ok. I have to confess something. After these last few years and all the stupidity of so many of the "reality" shows? I finally started to watch one. Yes, I'm serious. No, I've never wached a reality show before this one. Yes, I am under the age of 80. No, I don't live in a cave.

Rusty has been DVR'ing the INXS show, the one where they are trying to find a new lead singer. Now, keep in mind, I said we're watching it recorded. Which means, essentially, we fast forward through all the stupid stuff (personally, I don't care what they do "back at the mansion") and just watch the performances. I was a big INXS fan in high school and was sad when it was announced that their lead singer, Michael Hutchence, had hung himself (1996 or 97?).

Anyway. The point of this. We've been watching the show (and I just realized I don't know the official name of it). Dave Navarro is one of the hosts along with INXS themselves. Navarro is in Jane's Addiction and was in the Red Hot Chili Peppers too, I think. Maybe I'm wrong?

Again with the getting off track...

So. There are some very good performers on the show. There are/were also a bunch of complete weiners. But I have been totally enthralled with one singer in particular - Jordis Unga. Yes. That is her name. She's from St. Paul (of course). Jordis? Can sing. I don't really get all worked up about singers. The last solo performer's entire CD I downloaded from iTunes was Jason Mraz. Otherwise, I'll download a single and that's about it. But now I'm all "I really want to find more of her stuff" with Jordis's music. She's unique and has a fabulous voice. And she uses that voice astonishingly well. But then, sadness...

Jordis was elimated from the competition last night and now it's down to four people left. But when she got up to leave, the band and Navarro couldn't say enough about her and her talent and her future (they eliminated her on the basis of "not being right for the band", which is probably true -- she's way too cool for INXS).

So I just downloaded some of her songs from MSN Music. If you're interested, I totally recommend clicking this link to hear her cover of The Man Who Sold the World first. Her version of Imagine , Give Me Some Lovin' and Knockin' On Heaven's Door are great, as is Heart Shaped Box. I'm really anxious to see if, or more likely when, she will be releasing a debut CD.

P.S. Regarding the show? I am totally hoping Mig or Marty wins. JD? Is an ass. And I don't really believe INXS wants a girl singer so I think Suzie's out next. But realistically? INXS won't be "INXS" without Michael Hutchence so I probably won't be buying their new music anyway.

P.P.S. I'm thinking of rollin some dreads myself...

2 comments:

Jodi said...

I was such the Jordis fan at the beginning but she started to crumble under the pressure. Yeah they were right not a good fit for INXS. JD is a complete turd, hate him and wish he ad gone long ago. My pick is Marty all the way. He totally creeped me out at first cause he does this crazy looks. But man he gets better every week. And his original song TREES....man that was hooked up! I think I'd totally buy their CD if Marty is the lead singer. Mig is good to look at, and I wouldn't be sad if he made it but I like Marty better this week. My mind may change next week. LOL

Unknown said...

What? Jordis got eliminated? You are right. Way too cool for INXS! They couldn't handle a woman lead. Asses! If she is gone, who cares about the other ones... ;)

Like I have time to watch TV. Which BTW, it was the only reality show I watched too. Except that I have no idea when it comes on. I just luck into it now and then.

And being that we are as cool as you guys... No DVR.

 
Site Meter