Monday, March 13, 2006

He gets it.

Have you ever heard of Backyard Hockey? It's a computer game for kids. The game's characters are kids in a neighborhood hockey game and includes some NHL players as kids. If you haven't heard of Backyard Hockey then perhaps you've heard of Backyard Baseball, Backyard Football, Backyard Basketball and/or Backyard Soccer. Or in the near future you may see the soon-to-be-released Backyard Skateboarding (Liam is waiting anxiously to see if they ever get around to Backyard Luge or Backyard Speed-Skating. Poor kid.)

Anyway, Liam loves these games. You can click on any player's picture and they'll pop up and tell you a little bit about themselves. And since the players are all kids, their comments are child-like and sometimes totally not related to the sport at hand. There is a catchy theme song for the game and even play-by-play. So yesterday, when Liam called me to the computer room to "see something", I figured he'd found yet another player whose one-liner made him laugh and he wanted me to hear it. I walked in to find him looking at the player stats for "Ricky". Ricky says something but Liam doesn't do his usual "Listen to what he says, Mom!" Instead, he says, "Listen to this song, Mom" and I realize he's listening to the music playing in the background. It's actually a nice song played on the piano and totally different than the manic theme-song of the game. But I'm not sure what reaction I'm supposed to give so I say, "I really like that." Because? I really did. Liam turns to me with a smile and says, "Doesn't that song make you think of God?"

Now, for you reading this? This may not be a big deal. But for me, as the mother who's had to answer hundreds of questions about God only to be told by her then-six year old that he doesn't think there really is a God? Liam's observation was amazing. And it was thrilling because he totally illustrated what I was talking about in my last post. Liam felt God in a beautiful little background song buried in the chaos of a children's computer game. That? Makes me all sniffly.

2 comments:

Jodi said...

I just started the flippen book you forced me to buy and I totally get that! How cool is that? Not to have God crammed down your throat but to meet him in music is a way better way to be introduced to God....very cool!

Unknown said...

Wow, I need to come by more often. I know, bad friend!

Love Liam's response. Just love it. That is so amazing, and such a wonderful thing, that moment when they get a concept, when they understand something deeper. So wonderful that he chose to share it with you!

OK, gotta come visit soon. Missing you guys big time!

 
Site Meter