Monday, March 27, 2006

Immigration, anyone?

Ok. So living in the Washington D.C. area you get a little tired of the politics. I'll admit that a good portion of the stupidity goes right over my head. But this immigration thing is killing me. I heard the very stupidest conversation ever this morning and I wanted to just stop this person and ask if they had any clue what the crap they were talking about. Let's get this out in the open now, everyone. I am not for this immigration thing becoming a bill and then a law. That may irritate those of you in the "Learn English or go home" camp, but why don't you clam up and let me explain my problem with this.

My problem? The whole "let's make it a felony to immigrate illegally, to hire illegal workers and to aide illegal immigrants." Why does that bother me? Am I all for opening the borders an letting in every unchecked person - including terrorists and maniacs - into the the U.S.? No. Don't be stupid. There are all kinds of ideas up for how to legalize the people already here and holding jobs, providing valuable services and actually being useful. Again, my problem is with this attitude:

Tancredo said enforcing existing laws would discourage illegal immigration because employers would be unable to hire undocumented workers.

"If you actually began to enforce that, then you would see that millions of people will return home to their countries of origin voluntarily because, frankly, there's nothing else to do," he said. - Rep. Tom Tancredo, a Colorado Republican on CNN.com

That? Is just a dumb statement. Like anyonewho has risked their life and spent great deals of money to get here is going to just pull up stakes and decide to head home. But even that isn't the basic problem I have with what's at stake. My problem, again, is with making it illegal to not only come into the country illegally but to hire illegal workers and to aide illegal immigrants. So why is this bugging me so much? "Aide" includes pastors, churches and even medical personnel. Doctors. Teachers. Programs like Mercyworks and Su Casa in Cincinnati. Do they screen those they currently minister to? I don't know. Maybe they do and this is irrelevant. But if they don't? I don't want them to have to. I read a quote by someone at a protest that said God is not an "American God." I know that irritated some people. But for some of the people this law would affect, that statement means everything to them and their ministry. Does a service like Mercyworks turn away an immigrant family in need? Does a Hispanic church screen people walking in the door before they start the service? Does a doctor refuse to treat a patient -- a critical injury, cancer, some easily curable sickness that can lead to death if not treated -- just because that patient isn't legal? Yes, those are tough situations and hard to say one way or the other. And for many of us comfortable American citizens it's easier to just not think about it because it's not "us." But for anyone with any kind of faith or belief in God, it comes down to this: I don't believe God would be happy with people not being cared for or ministered to because they aren't "legal." God says "whatever you do unto the least of these"... I don't think "check their credentials first" was part of that. I'm just sayin'.

If you don't believe my problem is a widespread one? Read on:

Dozens of members of the clergy planned to wear handcuffs to protest what they said is the House bill's criminalization of their aid programs for poor immigrants.

Go, Clergy.

To end this post, I ask a favor. If you don't know any immigrants, particularly those from Central and South America? Go find one. Talk to them. Make eye contact and smile when they're bussing your table or holding the "Stop/Slow" sign at the road construction site down the street. If you get a chance, ask them about their homeland and what they had to go through to get here. There's a good chance you'll be astounded that anyone would be so desperate that they would give up everything familiar to them to risk everything they have, including their life, to get here. We tend to forget how blessed we are and sometimes it takes a face-to-face reminder. We don't have to decide if we will flee to the U.S. to request political asylum or to make enough money to send back to our family at home so they can survive.

Ok. That's my rant for the day. I'm not saying just let anyone in and who gives a crap. I am saying I don't want anyone telling us that reaching out to someone in need is a crime if they're the "wrong" someone. I haven't been going around ranting about this all week. This is strictly after having been stirred up by the stupid person this morning.

2 comments:

Jodi said...

I seriously doubt that Mercyworks screens those they help for a green card, or credentials. Considering the majority of the people living directly behind Mercy Works are illegals. I agree with you 100%, theres got to be a better way of controlling things than this.

Unknown said...

AMEN SISTER!!! AMEN!!!

 
Site Meter