Sunday, July 17, 2005

Link for Wendi Speciale

So. There are these unmounted stamps that I just adore - Wendi Speciale Designs. Super funky cool stamps! I've ordered three so far and use them non-stop (seriously, buy the "Insert Letter" stamp and you will use it for tons of different things). Check them out when you have the time. Also? Check out her monthly kits. The box they come in is worth the money on it's own. So great.

Anyway, I'm posting this because Wendi , aside from a spectacular stamp designer and apparently all around great person? Is also Diabetic. Type I Juvenile Diabetes to be precise. I read her account of the rarity of it's onset at her age and was floored.

Wendi is doing a Diabetes walk in Austin, TX. She has asked for help in supporting her cause. I can't turn a blind eye to it because Diabetes runs amok in my family, on both sides. But most heartbreaking for me (and my entire family) is the loss of my grandfather six and half years ago to Type II Diabetes. I was three months pregnant with Liam when Grandpa Joe died. I'm not sure I'll ever be over it. My grandpa wasn't obese or even really overweight (he did perfect that round "grandpa belly" later on in life, but was not by any means "fat"). When his doctor told him he needed to exercise, especially walking to help the circulation in his legs, I'm not sure how seriously he took it. Grandpa was a baseball player and a Marine. I think there was probably a part of him that didn't think it could get as bad as it did. I know I didn't think it would get as bad as it did. I mean... he was Grandpa.

So for all of you with loved ones, friends, neighbors, teachers, policemen, pastors... anyone dealing with Diabetes... please take a minute to give thanks that you still have them with you. Then head over to Wendi's link and consider donating to her walk. If not Wendi's, please think about donating to any local chapter. I'm sure it would be greatly appreciated.

In case you didn't notice all the not-so-subtle links up there... CLICK HERE TO GO TO WENDI'S DONATION PAGE.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love her stuff. I didn't know she has monthly kits... ARGH! You are such a stinkin enabler!!!! ;)

 
Site Meter