Thursday, July 14, 2005

My hair.

So. Every year, right about now, I partake in an annual ritual that consumes my thoughts and tries my patience... "Should I get my hair cut?" Or to put it more precisely, "should I get my hair cut off?"

Oh, say what you will about thick luxerious hair, natural curls, blah blahty blah blah blah... it's hot, people. And it takes three hours to dry on it's own. Three hours. And do you know how not fun it is to blow your hair dry when it's 90-something degrees outside? It's not fun.

But... when you get it cut shorter, you cannot pull it back when you go running. It curls even more. In weird places. And you imagine that a shorter haircut makes you look fat.

So, the dilema. Also? I am in my youngest sister's wedding in October so whatever I do now has to be acceptable. Or grown in by then.

Opinions? Anyone?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love having short hair, but my hair is almost the total opposite of yours - thin and totally straight. Some of my friends who cut their hair short say they now spend MORE time on it than before.

You need to find:
a picture of a short curly cut you are totally crazy about
and
a good stylist who will be brutally honest about the amount of work it will take to get your hair to look like that daily.
Do not proceed until you have both those things.

Or else just shave it off, saying "screw you, I'm not here to be decorative, it's summer, I'm an artist." That's what I do. But then you really can't care about how it looks, an attitude which takes a long time to develop. (I'm insanely vain about my hair, I just have no interest in it looking 'pretty'.)

I did let mine grow in a little, and I dyed and highlighted it, when I knew I'd be in my brother's wedding pictures.

betsy

Unknown said...

OK, I need to see your hair now. Post pic please!

Jodi said...

when you lived in cincy way back when, you had good hair. Do that it's a good look for you. The long hair kind of freaked me out because that wasn't how I knew you. Ok theres my opinion. I like my hair shorter, just wash, shake dry, and I'm done. Folks may think I look like a dork, but I'm happy so who cares?

Melinda said...

I don't even know you, but I know Jodi and that's how I landed here. :)

Can you try one of those "virtual" hair things where you put in a photo of you and they pop different hair styles on your head?

If you have a good stylist, put yourself in his/her hands. When I go, I say, "Do whatever you want" and I've never been disappointed.

Hard for me to judge w/out a photo, but is there an "in between" length...not as long, but still long enough to pull back?

 
Site Meter