Tuesday, June 21, 2005

The Father's Day Book


Rusty's Father's Day Book
Originally uploaded by art chick.
Liam and Sean and I spent last week trying to be sneaky making a Father's Day surprise for Rusty. Liam picked out the little red album with the rings and some canvas "Dad" stickers (Sean didn't pick anything out, he just cheered us on). I wasn't sure how to put all of this together but I knew that I wanted to include photos of Rusty's dad. I wanted to find out, for myself as well as for Rusty, what characteristics he and his father shared in their parenting. Since I never had a chance to meet Rusty's dad (he died when Rusty was in high school) I had to rely on photos and Rusty's mom's version.

Now, there's nothing wrong with Rusty's mom's version. But it is his mom's version. She was married to one and the mother of the other. I wasn't sure if she'd be able to really see the similarities. Or if being so close to Rusty and his father, she would only see them as individuals who had totally different roles in her life. To her credit? She did a great job with the note I asked her to write. I tucked it behind the photo of Rusty fishing with his dad and brother (I made a little pocket behind the photo so the note could stay semi-private).

Anyway, here are the photos of the album. If you click that photo, above, it'll take you to the rest of the book. It feels a little bit unfinished to me, probably because I would have junked it up more. And though Rusty loves my work and totally supports everything I've done or made? He's not super funky in the artistic sense. And seeing as how this book is for him, I didn't want him to feel like it was made for anyone but him.

3 comments:

Melinda said...

That album is precious! The photos of your husband's father almost made me cry...not sure why as I don't know any of you! LOL It's just very poignant to see him showing his sense of humor and fatherly side in the same way your husband does in the other photos. You did a great job gathering those moments! I'm sure your husband will treasure that forever.

Stacie said...

Well that is the nicest thing... thank you :-)

Unknown said...

This is so gorgeous!! I really love it. It made my cry! Quick, email me and tell how you did the whole thing! LOL!

 
Site Meter