Friday, June 10, 2005

House Renovations - Chapter ?

Ok, for the last week? We've had siding/trim guys in the yard. So this was my week, starting with a preface last Thursday. Keep in mind, this is the most reputable company in the area with literally 20 plus pages of references.

Thursday:
[phone rings] "Hello, this is ****** Company. We'll be getting started on the trim work today."

Us: "Yay!"

Us (later in the day): "Why did someone leave multiple ladders and boxes all over our yard? Hello? Anyone here....?"

Friday: No word on multiple ladders and boxes. Ladders and boxes multiply sometime during the day. Still no actual human beings to be seen.

Skip over the weekend (weekend, yay! Woo hoo!)

Monday: One lone kid, about college age, shows up on the front lawn. Starts messing with the mysterious boxes and ladders (note: it's already past 80 degrees at 9 am). Does some work. Leaves.

Tuesday: Same kid, now accompanied by an older man, start working. After returning home from Target with Sean, older man approaches me. Not looking so good (note: it's way hot outside again).

Older guy: I'm going to be leaving. I'm sick (that's why I didn't make it yesterday). I threw up in your backyard.

Me: What the... huh?!

Older guy: [leaving now]

Now, let me go over that again. Guy gets sick in yard. Doesn't say where, or if he's cleaned it up. It is hot. The boys play in the backyard after school. Today they have been promised the sprinkler may be turned on as soon as we get home. So me? I get to go on puke patrol and see where I'm going to have to clean up. Trying to not get sick myself at this point. Thankfully, the guy had enough sense to clean up (the hose was out, leading me right to "the spot". Yum.)

Wednesday: Return home from the grocery. Notice previously mentioned younger kid guy casually strolling into the backyard (his back to the driveway, can't see I've just pulled in). Realise he has bypassed the house, therefore is not going back to work. He keeps going. I realise the guy has to "use the facilities" and our backyard backs up to the woods so I figure that's ok, he'll go back to where no one can see him. But no. He goes back behind our shed. Which is not backed up to the woods. In fact, it is backed up to the fence of our neighbors yard. Which could be visible from the school playground behind our neighbor's yard, if you knew where to look. And the children are on the school playground behind our neighbor's yard. Younger previously mentioned guy? Proceeds to pee. Fight urge to laugh and wonder if I need to call the company owner and complain about his workers. As I'm walking to the front door, older guy stops me and points out the work they're doing (which is great, by the way). In conversation mentions that previously mentioned younger peeing-behind-our-shed-guy is company owner's son.

4:00 pm that same day (this is still Wednesday, people): Younger guy leaves. Older guy says he's staying to work late because he missed part of a day of work being sick and wants to catch up. That's ok. Asks to use the phone to arrange a ride since younger guy was supposed to be his ride but left. Ok. Wants to know if he can give our number to his wife in case she gets lost coming to get him. Sure.

7:00 pm: Phone rings. Caller ID tags it as a call from Virginia. Lady calling asks for worker guy like it's a big hassle for her to be calling my house. Take phone out to worker guy who proceeds to argue with his wife for five minutes. Brings phone back in, thanking me.

7:30 pm: Go outside with Sean to blow bubbles. Find worker guy sitting in one of the plastic backyard chairs. Smack in the middle of my front yard. Smoking. Waving and chatting to people. Sean and I go back inside as I mumble something about getting bug bites.

Thursday: An unbelievable normal day of work.

Friday: Nothing to report as of yet, but the day is only half over.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there girl!

I know that must be so frustrating! My hubby is a home builder in Austin, and let me tell you, there is NOTHING worse than a sub contractor that is not cutting the mustard:(

SENDING HUGS!
So glad I found your blog!

 
Site Meter