Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Summer

"The invariable mark of wisdom is to see the miraculous in the common" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tonight, I was overpowered by beauty in the midst of our nightly routine. Rusty had to go in to work to get ready for some upgrades they're doing tomorrow. He got Sean ready and into bed while I read to Liam, then he left. As Liam was brushing his teeth, I happened to glance out the window and saw the lightening bugs.

Now, Liam has been talking non-stop about lightening bugs. When are the lightening bugs coming and where do the lightening bugs live and why aren't they here yet cause I want to see them now! So when I saw the little flickers of light darting across the lawn, I knew what had to be done. I told Liam to get Blue Bear settled in bed then come to the front door. I put my finger to my lips to quiet him so we didn't wake Sean, and we opened the door and tip-toed outside. The second we hit the porch, Liam saw them. He squealed and took off running across the front lawn in his jammies.

I'll be the first to admit, I don't know anything technical or biological about lightening bugs (or fireflies as others call them - I seem to bounce back and forth between the two terms). But last year? The lightening bugs were few and far between. Not sure why. But this year... tonight... they were everywhere. Across the lawns, in the street, above in the trees. Those lights were blinking back and forth to each other like they were all trying to talk at once. Liam took off after one, it would fly too high out of his reach then he'd see one buzz his head and he'd turn and run for that one. He was giggling and his smile... his smile, totally oblivious to me or anything else besides those lightening bugs... his smile killed me. I sat in the grass, with just enough dusk light left to see what was important.

Liam and I spent about twenty minutes outside then I hauled him back in. To his credit, he did not want to come in but didn't throw a fit. As we said his prayers, he thanked God for Mommy, Daddy, Sean and the lightening bugs. It totally makes up for the fact that deviating from his normal routine has caused him to be up six times now since I've put him to bed.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, this is beautiful! Such a sweet moment. What us mommies live for!! I'm getting all sniffley reading this. Stop making a pregnant woman cry!!! :)

I guess the lightening bugs were all over at your place, because we only have a few here. Last year, they were all here.

That is a good thing. We need to share (as my kids would say...)!

Rusty said...

what a great little guy... and a great mommy.
I'm just glad he didn't get hurt on the little bits of sharp aluminum that the siding people left all over the yard freakin yard.

 
Site Meter