Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Mental illness or spiritual clarity?

I was just reading over my last week's worth of posts and I swear I may be schizophrenic. I go from a discussion on downloading Kenny Rogers and the Beastie Boys on my iPod to paraphrasing an essay on the depth of Christ's humanity? What is it with me?

Maybe I'm not schizoid. Maybe it's "Spiritual Tourette's" where, you know, I'm going along chatting about iTunes and suddenly shout out a sermon then go about my business like nothing ever happened. I wonder if I can find scripture to support my theory on the state of my mental health? (I have The Message version of the bible; I would not be shocked).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I read it. No, I don't think that's crazy (neither veering between the Beasty Boys and the Big Questions, nor wondering about the specifics of Jesus' inner life on earth.) If that's mental illness, I'm in (even more) trouble (than I usually assume I am.)

If Christ was fully human, then he didn't know everything. (Would you follow someone who seemed to know, or seemed to think he knew, everything? Even if he was trying to be humble about it - Wouldn't that person be totally unbearable eventually?) BUT if he was really living soaked in the Holy Spirit, then the prophetic words/ideas he had (everything from the woman at the well's 5 husbands to all that I must be about my father's business backtalk...) - he could have times of prophecy when he needed it, but not know the whole deal from the beginning.

Because, honestly - think about what kind of person he would have been. Seriously, this would be a very real impediment to his ministry.

betsy

 
Site Meter