Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Muppet love.

Sean and I watched Sesame Street this morning. Within the first three minutes Cookie Monster, the Count and Big Bird showed up. I forgot how funny that show can be, even for adults. The Muppets? Seriously, one of the best things human kind has ever come up with.

I may be a bit partial, as Jim Hensen attended the University of Maryland as an art major. The same school where I earned my art degree. Kermit was actually developed from one of his early art projects at UMD. And there is the sweetest statue at the student union -- Jim Hensen sitting on a park bench talking to Kermit who is sitting on the backrest next to him. Not talking to Kermit as a puppet, but just Kermit as a little green frog guy. What does that have to do with anything? Nothing. I just like the statue and this is my blog.

Anyway, the Muppets. We are totally loving the Muppets. I'm dating myself but does anyone else remember the Muppet Show? That's good stuff, people! The Swedish Chef alone was worth watching the show. And the whole idea of Gonzo? A weird little blue thing with a chicken fetish? That's quality television right there.

So what's the point of this post? Not sure. Just enjoyed the "ah ha ha"s after the Count counted the cookies then Sean's hysterical laughter as Cookie Monster totally destroyed them. And the "Sing a Song (la la la la la)" song? Classic. Though maybe sharing would get you all thinking back.

If you're feeling brave (because I have a counter, people, I can tell someone is checking up on me and it's not just my mom hitting refresh every ten minutes) leave a comment and tell me who is your favorite Muppet, episode or movie, or song... and don't curse my name when you get one of them stuck in your head for the rest of the week.

For the record: My favorite Muppet Song is probably the one that the dog(Rowlf?) sings in the original Muppet Movie.

"You can't live with 'em, you can't live without 'em.
There's somethin' irresistabullish about 'em.
We grin and bear it 'cause the nights are long.
I hope that somethin' better comes along.

It's no good complainin' and pointless to holler.
If she's a beauty she'll get under your collar.
She made a monkey out of old King Kong,
I hope that somethin' better comes along..."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not on the good, original version of the Muppet Show but on a later, maybe late-80s or early 90s slightly inferior cable version of the Muppet show, was the funniest thing I have ever seen on TV.

Pepe (cajun crawfish) and Seymour (elephant) were doing a vaudeville act. All is going well until they get to this joke:

Hey, Seymour!
Yes, Pepe?
What do you get when you cross and elephant and a rhino?
"'Ell If I Know!"

The camera pans out across the 'audience", which is an elaborate theatre set with a Muppet in each seat. Each Muppet's face is arranged in a perfect expression of complete confusion. They all sit there, motionless and silent, for at least 10 seconds.

Back on stage, Pepe and Seymour do a quick disgraced shuffle off to Buffalo offstage.

But that's not the funny part.

The funny part is that, at the end of the show, under the credits, you see Pepe, again on stage, with a flipchart and a pointer, trying to explain the joke to the (still stumped) Muppet audience. He has it all diagrammed out, and Seymour is standing beside him, helpfully nodding. Again, nothing from the audience.

We died, died, died laughing. We refer to this joke at least once a week.

I am so old that I used to watch the muppets on ED SULLIVAN! That's how ancient I am! I think that's right when Henson was graduating.
Also, Rowlf the dog used to be on the Glen Campbell Variety Show. He was in the band. My parents would get my little 4-year-old ass out of bed for that.



betsy

Stacie said...

PEPE! That's the thing's name. He's my favorite "new" Muppet. One of those newer Muppet movies (the outer space one, I think) he was hysterical!

And? I have never seen that bit that you mentioned, Betsy, and I still laughed :-)

Anonymous said...

Spaceman; Gonzo and Jimmy Buffet. I have it in my MP3 Jukebox.

Close second?

Manamana.

 
Site Meter